Hints for Reducing Snoring
Hints to reduce snoring and partner disturbance:
- Weight loss if relevant... Some thin people snore terribly too!
- Improve fitness generally
- Don't go to bed exhausted
- Reduce alcohol intake...in the evenings especially
- Reduce smoking, or better...Quit!
- Avoid allergens which block the nose...Keeping your pillow area covered when not using it to prevent pollens and house dust mite landing where you head will spend the next 8 hours. Have tests for House Dust mite allergies. Perhaps a change from feather pillows and bedcovers might be in order!
- Treat allergic symptoms if they cannot be fully avoided, medications and surgery
- Sleep on your side
- Ear Plugs for the partner
- Chin strap made of 1 inch wide elastic, split over the chin and top of the head to keep the mouth closed. An open mouth lets out much more snoring sound than a closed mouth!
- Trial of Drixine or Otrivine nasal spray prior to bed to see if a blocked nose contibutes to snoring by forcing you to mouth breathe. If it does help, perhaps nasal unblocking surgery is indicated. We do this too in selected cases.
- Provide your partner with a non-lethal weapon to wake you with!